All of Makapo Aquatics’ programs center on promoting an active lifestyle and using outrigger paddling as a form of recreational therapy. Programs are provided to the blind and visually impaired, their family, and their friends at little or no cost.
Makapo is proud to have partnered with various blind service organizations in the Southern California area, including Braille Institute Anaheim, Braille Institute Los Angeles, Junior Blind of America, and the Blind Children’s Learning Center.
- Recreational paddling – An outrigger canoe paddling program for those who are interested in the sport to try paddling in a non-competitive setting. Held on the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Saturday of every month at 10AM (Apr-Sept).
RSVP here: http://www.makapo.org/recpaddlersvp/
- Competitive paddling – Makapo, through a partnership with the Newport Aquatic Center, offers a competitive outrigger paddling team. We are a combination of blind and sighted paddlers that strive to be the best athletes we can be. Our team participates in Southern California Outrigger Racing Association (www.scora.org) races throughout the year, races in Hawaii, and hold workouts throughout the winter months to help keep our team of paddlers physically fit. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org for practice times and locations.
- Ohana Days: Monthly family oriented gatherings where parents can come together and share their experiences to provide support and guidance for other families. Held on the first Saturday of every month at 10AM (Apr-Sept.). RSVP here: http://www.makapo.org/ohanadayrsvp/
- Get On Board Introductory Events – Presentations to schools, service organizations, and clubs throughout the Southern California area.
- Group Events/Paddle camps – Team building and educational paddling for schools, organizations, and corporate groups.
- Consulting services to help establish similar programs in partnership with other paddling clubs nationally.
For more information please email or call us at 714.866.6252